- The Ocean Friends by Bo Duininck of Prinsburg, Minnesota is about five sea creatures who play in the sea together, escape a shark and bring a lost Nautilus home to play video games.
- The Two Friends by Lindsey Setrum of Raymond is about two friends who drink milk and cookies, take naps, play in the park and visit their grandparents.
- How to Build a Snowman, It's Fun and Easy by Sadie Rosendahl of Appleton is a step by step guide to creating and decorating your own snowman.
- Little Cabin By The Brook by Addilyn Nelson of New London, Minnesota is about a girl named Clara May who has to move many times before she finally arrives at a log cabin by a brook that she never wants to leave.
- The Four Fairies by Maggie Setrum of Raymond is about four fairy sisters who go on an adventure, escaping crocodiles and exploring “Cristle Cave”.
The contest judges chose Little Cabin By The Brook to create a web based video version of the story which can be viewed online at www.pioneer.org/writerscontest.
The annual Pioneer Kids Writers Contest is a regional initiative designed to promote the advancement of children’s literacy skills. The contest encourages children in grades K-3 to celebrate creativity by submitting their own original stories and drawings.
This year’s contest was made possible by the support of the Granite Falls Bank of Granite Falls, the Security State Bank of Fergus Falls and the F&M Bank Minnesota of Clarkfield, Olivia and Renville. Prizes were awarded to each winner that will encourage young writers and artists continue to draw, write and read.
For more information, contact Patrick Moore, Communications Director at Pioneer Public TV, 120 W. Schlieman Ave., Appleton, MN 56208; 320-289-2622; email: email@example.com.